Thursday, March 26, 2009

New Kid on the Block

Do you ever feel totally ignorant and inept? I do. At the small Christian elementary school where I teach, every other teacher is at least thirty years older than I am. The one with the least experience has been teaching for 20 years. I am teaching for my second year. Although I have been learning much, some days I still feel totally inadequate.

Two days ago, that was how I was feeling. Thankfully, I can express myself freely to the other teachers about most matters, and as we gathered for prayer before we started our day, I requested that they join me in praying for wisdom as I deal with some difficult situations. I told them of my feeling of inadequacy.

One of the older teachers piped up. She is the "strict" teacher. In our school, she is known for her strict rules and rigid requirements. What she said made my day ten times brighter. She told me that I was learning, and learning well. She said that she had just mentioned my growing teaching skills to her husband the other day.

So, yesterday and today when I was faced with those crazy, complicated situations when I felt I was doing it all wrong, I reminded myself of her words. Not because I want to be prideful, but because she is seeing progress. A good teacher never stops learning. I don't intend to stop now or anytime soon!

Keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment